So we are a week into the New Year. How are the resolutions holding out?
I’m not a great believer in setting a whole bunch of resolutions at the start of the New Year. I prefer to have an all year round list. Most resolutions are about giving up something. How hard is that?
Isn’t it better to focus on the positive change that you are going to make. So, for example, rather than give up drinking alcohol for a New Year resolution, (Think carefully about this – why would you?) consider it more as an opportunity to explore a range of delicious soft drinks that you have never tried before – rather than how you are going to deprive yourself of drinking alcohol for a month…. 6 months…year….forever…….
‘Life is like a coin. You can spend it any way you wish, but you only spend it once.’ Lillian Dickson
Set yourself up to win. Set resolutions that are realistic. Focus on what you are going to achieve, not all the things you are going to go without. Because the moment you tell yourself you are not going to do something it’s all you want to do.
I’m a self-confessed all year round list writer. Writing down what you are going to achieve makes it more real and more likely to happen. Check back in every so often to see how you are doing. Note the items on your list that you have made progress on and celebrate.
My list changes over time but today it looks a bit like this….
2. Learn to sing – check. People who know me will delight at this, and there is a 6 week course in March that I’m going to do
3. Learn to freedive – check. Course on 19th February am scared but what’s the worst that can happen?
4. Do stuff that matters – check. I think about this one a lot, if something dosen’t matter then what’s the point in doing it?
5. Listen more/better - check. This is hard but I’m trying.
6. Make people laugh – check. I made 3 people laugh yesterday, not sure if it was at or with me (but my list didn’t specify).
7. Appreciate and reflect on the good stuff – check. Actually I’m pretty lucky, appreciating it right now.
8. Have an adventure – check. I’m going to Djibouti tonight to count Whale Sharks, If it’s not an adventure I’m asking for a refund.
9.Always have well manicured feet – check. Well kept trotters make me happy. (see points 1 and 7)
10. Read Nadine Stairs poem – check. I read this most weeks and it inspires me
So success is if I get anything done on my list its better than nothing. Life is too short to give up the things you enjoy. Set yourself up to win. What’s on your list today?